tiistai 3. kesäkuuta 2008

Glittering party scarf


I knit this scarf for my sister as a small thanks for her almost limitless endurance and understanding when it comes to my knitting obsession. She's not that much interested in knitting herself, but always gladly accompanies me to my frequent trips to yarn stores.

I actually have a lot to be thankful for because her understanding almost came to an end on our recent trip to Gran Canaria. Naturally I had managed to find the address of the presumably only yarn store on the whole island; Palacio de las Lanas in Las Palmas. On a map the distance to the store from the bus station looked fairly manageable by foot, about 2-3 km. What I hadn't accounted for was that half of that distance was up a rather steep hill. So after walking an hour in the hot midday sun, on the brink of dehydration and still nowhere near the store we finally had the common sense to take a taxi. I bought the Gatsby yarn from the store.

Luckily my sister has since forgiven me my knitterly eccentricities yet again. Until next time that is.


Pattern:

Size: About 175 x 13 cm

Yarn: Katia Gatsby (77 % viscose, 15 % nylon, 8 % polyester, 118 m per 50 g ball), color 16 (red), 2 balls (100 g), about 236 m

Needles: 5,0 mm

Unfortunately I forgot to measure gauge before giving this to my sister but since this is a scarf it's not that essential anyway


Pattern notes:

I'm sure this scarf would look nice knitted with any type of yarn. I chose this stitch pattern so that when using synthetic fibres it will still look open and lacy even without blocking.

If you end up using Gatsby, please beware that it's a very slippery yarn. It falls off the needles rather easily.

Making the scarf thinner or wider is rather easy. Just start with an even stitch count.



Cast on 30 stitches. Knit 8 rows of garter stitch.

Row 1 (elongated stitches): knit, wrapping yarn 2 times around needle

Row 2 (crossing stitches as you go): *Keeping all the stitches on the left needle, knit the second stitch. Knit first stitch on the needle, slip both stitches off.* Repeat * - * to end of row, 15 crossed stitches.

Row 3: knit

Row 4: knit

Repeat rows 1 to 4 until your scarf is long enough or you're starting to run out of yarn.

Knit 6 rows of garter stitch.

Bind off.

Weave in ends.

Go party!

1 kommentti:

Anonyymi kirjoitti...

Damn right you are!
-Sister